New Technology Makes Eagle Yearbook More Interactive

Nathalia Tzintzun, Staff Reporter

Rodriguez Prep Academy’s yearbook elective has added an app to their program that promises to “bring photos to life,” according to yearbook adviser Hank Enriquez.

Enriquez, an 8th grade ELA teacher and yearbook advisor, brought the new feature in this year.  He said Aurasma will give students more control of input for the yearbook independent of the teachers,

The technology allows students to scan a code in the yearbook that leads to videos related to preparing the publication and events inside, making

“Aurasma is one of the world’s most talked about augmented reality platforms,”according to the company website. It also has over 150,000 customers in more than 100 countries.

Posters featuring the new Aurasma app have been posted around the campus to inform all students about this new addition and encourage students to download the app.

Several students already have the app and rave about the new feature.

Eighth-grader Emily Walos, who is also on the yearbook staff, said, “I think it’s amazing and a new [way to get] inside of the yearbook.”

Eric Martinez an 8th grade student does not have the app but thinks that “it’s cool.” He also said, “It’s an app to communicate with the school.”

Despite the positive reactions, there have been a few glitches.

“It’s not working on my phone, and it’s not for me,” said eighth-grader Rehia Mario.

Some students would like to see other additions to the yearbook. Mariana Martinez, an 8th grade student, said she would like to see a “new unique style.”

Whatever new technology is added to the yearbook, some students say they look for a traditional experience from the publication.

“Yearbook should show what we do in the classroom,” said Paris Madrid, an eighth-grader.