Filed under News, Showcase

PLTW Fosters Future Tech Skills at RPA

Getting students ready for new roles in the work force

Students work in a PLTW class at Rodriguez Prep

Emily Walos

Emily Walos

The new PLTW system at Rodriguez Prep Academy School of Engineering and Design was designed to help the students’ futures.

“You learn lessons from the past and the future is your guide” said former RPA Principal Sudha Venkatasen, who now is an official at the district office.

Most classes follow the PLTW (Project Lead the Way) standards, which help prepare students for high school, college and the future. Before the last school year, teachers agreed to the new schedule, which features new electives and one extra period.

Ms. Venkatasen’s goal is to make RP the school of the future by creating a S.T.E.M (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) school that would better the scientific and technical education of students.

Some teachers said the new RPA schedule is very confusing but the blocks are good for the electives. Although some teachers don’t get their conference periods on Wednesdays and Thursdays, it gives the students more class time, and allows the teachers more time to teach their subjects.

Sixth-grade teacher Geraldine Kruk said, “I would prefer the old schedule than this schedule that we have now.”

Then-seventh-grader Samantha Caro said, “I like PLTW because with our new 8th period I can express my artistic ways in yearbook.”

With the new PLTW system the students at Rodriguez have many new electives such as robotics, yearbook, computer science, journalism, and much more.

“I wanted to try something new for this school” said Frank Magnera, an RPA physical education teacher, explaining why he voted for the new schedule.

PE teacher Isabel Cervantes said, “We are here to put students on the right path. There are endless possibilities to life.”

Some teachers say that they get a lot done with no pressure and they get more time to prep for the next lesson. Some teachers voiced concerns about the prep time that seemed cramped in 42 minutes.

Former acting Principal Toni Miller said, “When I got here I was very pleased with the structure of Rodriguez and by how the teachers and students interacted with each other.”

The new PLTW system helps promote logical, scientific thinking and also introduced students to technology they might have missed out on.

Robotics classes stress engineering problem solving approaches. Medical detective classes train students in observation, evidence collecting and logical thinking. And humanities classes like art or journalism appeal to students’ creative sides.