Terrorism Arrives in San Bernardino

RPA Part of City Reactions to Shootings

QUICK RESPONSE – Local law enforcement deployed rapidly throughout the city in the hours following the Dec. 2 shootings in San Bernardino.

File Photo

File Photo

Trevor Halloway and Amanda Mora, Staff Reporters

Over 100 police officers responded to 911 calls reporting an active shooter at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino on Dec. 2.

The event caused a swift response by district and law enforcement officials and led to lock downs across the district.

“I want to remind our stakeholders that the San Bernardino City Unified School District is at the forefront in school and student safety,” said district spokesperson Corina Borsuk in a statement issued the day following the shooting.

Two San Bernardino high schools also went through active shooter training in the year of 2013, added Maria Garcia, district communications officer.

District responses the day of the attack included lock downs on all school campuses and offices and cancellation of CAPS and all after-school clubs, events and activities.

According to police, suspects Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik opened fire at a holiday party, killing 14 and injuring 21 others.

The suspects’ SUV was later spotted in Redlands and chased back to San Bernardino. A total of about two-dozen officers fired some 380 rounds at the suspects, eventually killing them, according to broadcasts on ABC News and Fox News.

After the initial shooting, numerous agencies teamed up with the San Bernardino Police Department to aid in finding the suspects and investigating the crime.

The first team of officers arrived at the scene four minutes after dispatch, later describing the scene as “tragic” and “unbelievable,” according to news reports.

Workers injured in the shooting were transferred to hospital within 15 minutes of police arrival, and nearby buildings were put on lock down. Survivors were eventually escorted out of the Inland Center.

Police later sent robots into the couple’s Redlands townhouse to disarm bombs. A total of 12 pipe bombs were found, according to reports.

A possible third suspect was also detained near the Inland Center shortly after the shooting. He was later arrested for unrelated misdemeanor charges.

An increased law enforcement presence continued in the city following the attack and access to several areas was restricted as the investigation wore on.